On 24 Apr 2020, at 21:33, Gary L. Wade wrote:

Here’s two web sites that should help you get the answer you want. Try one or both:

https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/welcome
https://www.apple.com/jobs/us/

You don’t get answers from filing bug reports with Apple, at best, the issue gets closed as a duplicate, which seems to be acknowledgement that others have run into the same problem, but then you never hear more about it. Alternatively the bug just stays open for years, maybe at some future OS release, you get an email saying to please test if the issue is still present.

That said, I *have* filed a report about this, but I still seek more information about the issue, which I had hoped to get from this list, because I sure as hell am not going to get it via Apple’s bug reporting system.

For the records, I asked a friend to run the test on his system, he got a delay of 160-170 ms, he is in Europe where Apple have local data centers, so it’s not unreasonable to think his ping time to gs.apple.com is 30-50 ms, hence it still seems plausible that it does a connection to Apple’s server for a call to getxattr().

Though I’m waiting for more data from him.