> On 9 Aug 2020, at 5:58 am, Gabriel Zachmann via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> I have a simple app (status bar item) with a simple GUI.
> The funny thing is that one text line in the GUI is grey-ish,
> but NOT in the XIB in XCode ... and I can't determine why that is or how to
> correct it.

Interesting. After downloading your project and playing around with a few
things, and doing a bit of reading, I came to the conclusion that this effect
seems related to how UIKit renders buttons when displayed in a popover.

NSPopover has a property `appearance`, whose docs say “If no appearance is
specified, the popover’s effective appearance defaults to `vibrantLight`”. This
got me wondering, what if we change this to something else? Indeed, if you add
this line to your setup:

    prefs_popover_.appearance = NSAppearance(named: .aqua)

the button text stays opaque like in a normal window (and, to my eye,
everything else in the popover otherwise looks the same)!

cheers,

-ben