Why do you need to use tracking areas? I doubt that they are designed to handle hundreds of small regions. If you are dragging within the view, just hit-detect the rects yourself and mark them as needing update. If you need that to happen with just the mouse passing over the view (button not pressed) you can turn on mouseMoved: events and do the same thing.

Tracking events are awkward at the best of times, and are mostly intended for cursor management. I think you'd find a more conventional approach a lot more fruitful.

hth,

Graham