In 10.13 this is not a Notarization problem. It could be a quarantine problem,
though. Have him move the application to any directory other than the one where
he unzipped the app, then launch the app. That should remove the quarantine and
allow him to run the app if that was the problem. The Applications folder is a
good place to move these things.

Jack