On Jun 28, 2008, at 5:25 PM, john muchow wrote:
The last thread that I saw on this topic was dated sometime in
2004....if there is something more recent that I didn't find, I
apologize up front...

I realize nothing has probably changed as far as the API and the
documentation to indicate autoreleased methods, however, can someone
provide any insight as to how one knows if a method from a framework
returns an autoreleased object?

Methods that begin with "alloc" or "new" or contain "copy" will return objects you are responsible for. All other objects returned from methods are taken care of.

More information here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/MemoryMgmt/Tasks/MemoryManagementRules.html

Regards
Markus