Text is tricky because of the anti-aliasing issues.

Broaden your search though there are tons of examples on how to fade a layer in and out of a scene (apple's samples, my blog, others as well).

Basically though

- parent view needs to be layer backed (via setWantsLayer:YES)
- create a layer whose content is your text (or the text layer if you don't need fine control over the anti-aliasing)
- add the text layer as a sublayer of the view's layer
- fade to zero opacity, when the fade is complete remove the layer from its superlayer

that will give you a fade in and fade out, there are of course other ways to do this that might or might not be easier...

HTH,

-bd-
http://bill.dudney.net/roller/objc