on 2008-07-06 11:35 AM, Michael Ash at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You might use __weak if you want a zeroing weak reference. But this
> is
extremely uncommon in a dual-mode framework such as what you're
writing,
> because there's no equivalent to __weak in the non-GC world.

There is a weak retain technique, and I use it in one of my frameworks. It
was outlined by Ken Case of OmniGroup many years ago. See
www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?WeakReferences. I anticipate that I may use __weak
to replace this when my framework is used in a garbage collection
environment.

--

Bill Cheeseman - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Quechee Software, Quechee, Vermont, USA