On Jul 7, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Michael Ash wrote:

Um, no it won't. The mask for the first two bits would be 0xC0, not 0xA. 0xA would be 0101, which other than being the ASCII newline character, doesn't
seem terribly interesting for this use.

You're right, my bad. I even checked 0xC0 to make sure it was the
right one, but I guess I got momentarily distracted and somehow put in
this nonsense instead.

Oh well, if it makes you feel any better, I appear to have screwed up too - 0xA is 1010, not 0101. D'oh.

Charles