Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:26:18 -0400
From: "Sean McBride" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NSViewController Binding Problem continued
To: "Ivy Feraco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>

On 7/17/08 11:53 AM, Ivy Feraco said:

There was a previous post back in April about a problem with binding
to the representedObject in NSViewController.

I missed that, but I am having problems binding via NSViewController's
representedObject too.

When instantiating the view controller, I set the represented object
to an NSArrayController.

I'm using NSObjectController.

vc = [[MyViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"newView" bundle:nil];
[vc setRepresentedObject:arrayController];

When setting the bindings in the nib file, I make the File's Owner
MyViewController class, then try to bind columns of NSTableView to the
File's Owner using a path like
representedObject.arrangedObjects.displayText.

This would not work, even though the array controller does contain data.

Did not work how? In my case, when I attempt to bind a view's binding,
IB fails to connect the binding and prints the following in Console:

2008-07-17 12:13:54 Interface Builder[9568] Ignoring exception related
to working with bindings: NSUnknownKeyException, [<NSCustomObject
0x1b8c0520> addObserver:<MyCustomView 0x1b8c7490>
forKeyPath:@"representedObject.selection.subjectToBrainsightTransform"
compliant for the "representedObject" property.

Do you see something similar in Console?

Now in my case, the view in question is my own custom NSView subclass,
it exposes about a dozen bindings and they've been working for a very
long time. I've only seen problems once I started using NSViewContoller.

By connecting gdb to IB:

(gdb) po 0x1b8c0520
<NSCustomObject(MyViewController) 0x1b8c0520>

Looks like some kind of IB object meant to stand in for my viewcontroller.

A previous post brought up the exact same issue, and he worked around
it by using the awakefromNib method to bind the table to the
representedObject's arrangedObjects in code. I did something similar
using the windowDidLoad method.

I'll have to try that...

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]