On Jul 19, 2008, at 01:58, Gerriet M. Denkmann wrote:

In -readFromURL:ofType:error: of a document-based app I make some checks and if something looks suspicious I show an AlertPanel with: "Something strange. (Open anyway) (Do not open)"

If the user clicked on (Do not open) I return NO and set the NSError to nil.

But then another panel comes up with "Document <name> could not be opened. (OK)".
This is kind of silly, as the user just has clicked on (Do not open).

How can this second panel be avoided? Using 10.4.11 Tiger.

Return an error with domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain and code=NSUserCancelledError.