From: Jens Alfke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help on Menu Item
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com
Date: Wednesday, July 23, 2008, 11:45 PM

On 23 Jul '08, at 10:19 PM, Adil Saleem wrote:

> Hi,Is it possible to make a program that appears as a menu item for
> all applications ? Actually i want to make a custom action which i
> want to appear in every application's menu (just like About, Quit
> etc...) or it can just appear in the Apple menu so that it is always
> available no matter what application is running.

No, not without very nasty hacks (which have been done in the past,
but have caused serious problems with system stability). You can
create an item in the Services submenu of the application menu, or you
can create one of those icon menus on the right side of the menu bar
(an NSStatusItem), but you can't otherwise mess with the menus of
other apps.

—Jens