On Aug 2, 2008, at 6:15 AM, Andreas Mayer wrote:
which doesn't seem to work, can one even mix binding and datasource driven columns on a NSOutline?

I think that should be possible.

Turns out that if you mix binding and datasource, you have to implement not only

- (id)outlineView:(NSOutlineView *)outlineView objectValueForTableColumn:(NSTableColumn *)tableColumn byItem:(id)item

but also

- (BOOL)outlineView:(NSOutlineView *)outlineView isItemExpandable: (id)item - (id)outlineView:(NSOutlineView *)outlineView child:(int)index ofItem: (id)item - (NSInteger)outlineView:(NSOutlineView *)outlineView numberOfChildrenOfItem:(id)item

Unless you implemented those three, -objectValueForTableColumn: will never be called, even though the three never get called due to binding.

I'd say it's not originally intended to use NSOutlineView with both bindings and datasource, at least that's what it smells like for me.

or I have to add a value binding to the cell implementation.

In case you do, I'd appreciate if you shared your code. :)

You can count on that, but since I got it working without I might not do this. Unless it turns out that the mixed mode comes with issues.

Thanks for the progress implementation, works nicely!

Regards
Markus