On Aug 12, 2008, at 12:01 AM, Devraj Mukherjee wrote:
I am trying to create a window that pops up from the toolbar (like say
the project selection window in Pages or the window that pops up if
you drag an existing source file onto XCode). I am trying design a UI
so the user doesn't have to bring up a separate window.

Is this done using a normal window and these are just display
properties or is this done using a view?

Such windows are called "Sheets". Here are all the details:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Sheets/Sheets.html

more specifically

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Sheets/Tasks/UsingCustomSheets.html

and