For an ordinary window one can set in IB "Auto Save Name:" and everything works as expected. I can give it a nice size and position and the next time I open it, all is fine.

But if this window is a document, controlled by some NSDocumentController, this Auto Save Name seems to be ingnored (at least on Tiger). This is annoying, as it forces me to size each new window again and again.

Several solutions come to mind:

1. Have a FrameAutosaveName for each document
Disadvantage: does not define a nice size for new documents.
Clutters preferences.

2. Let the nib decide. (Current strategy).
Disadvantage: if my definition of "nice size" differs from the nib, I have to resize each new document.

3. Use last changed/ moved window
Disadvantage: if I want all windows in size A, but one special document in size B, then after this special document I have to resize the next one again to size A.

4. Have a menu: "Use frontmost window as default size and position"
Disadvantage: menu clutter, clumsy.

5. Use the frontmost window
Disadvantage: If I have one window with non-standard size, I must remember not to close it as the last one.

6. Other?

So: is there some commonly agreed upon right strategy?
Are there some official guidelines for document window sizes?

Kind regards,

Gerriet.