On 8 Oct 2008, at 19:49, Randall Meadows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Oct 8, 2008, at 10:24 AM, David wrote:

Hello,
I'd like to have a button that looks like the close or cancel icon
that is often present in Cocoa applications, but I can't find the
icon. I'm surprised it doesn't show up as a choice in interface
builder.

Some places where this icon shows up includes:
- When you have multiple tabs in Safari, its the X in a circle by the
tab that you use to close the tab.
- In a standard Cocoa search field used in Finder, if you enter
something and want to cancel the search it shows up.

In my application a user can initiate a long running activity that I'd like to allow them to stop. I could put a STOP icon on the toolbar, or
I was thinking of using the X in a circle icon next to a spinning
progress indicator. I'm not sure which approach is more typical in Mac
OS X.

You can access this via IB; you can set a view's image to
NSStopProgressFreestandingTemplate (or NSStopProgressTemplate for just
the X part).  I assume (although haven't tried) that you can access
this also through NSImage by name.

Is there somewhere a list (human readable or programmatically accessable) of names understood by +[ NSImage imageNamed:]?

The documentation says: "Search the Application Kit framework for a shared image with the specified name."
Where exactly does it look for named images?

Kind regards,

Gerriet.