So I was reading through the Leopard AppKit release notes today, and stumbled across the "Support for UTIs in NSView and NSWindow" (a few sections below http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Cocoa/AppKit.html#UTIs) .

It states:
"NSView's -dragPromisedFilesOfTypes:fromRect:source:slideBack:event: method now accepts UTIs as type strings, in addition to the sort of file name extensions that were accepted in Mac OS 10.4."

So it looks like there is NOT any reason to build an NSFilesPromisePboardType array out of UTIs on 10.5+ after all! I've filed yet another "why is this only buried in the release notes?!?" bug on the documentation: rdar://problem/6332711.

thanks,
-natevw