On Nov 23, 2008, at 9:54 AM, DKJ wrote:

Now I'm getting a very odd result. In the code for a UIView I have this:

        CALayer *theLayer = self.layer;
        id pLayer = [theLayer presentationLayer];

The first line is fine, but for the second I get a compiler warning:

        no '-presentationLayer' method found

Did you import the QuartzCore/QuartzCore.h header?

I'm looking at the CALayer docs, which has this:

        - (id)presentationLayer

        Return Value
        A layer instance representing the current presentation layer.

Any idea what's going on? (I'm also puzzled why this method would return an id.)

The return value is an id so that you can assign it to the proper real class without type casting. For example...

CALayer *pLayer = [myLayer presentationLayer];
CATiledLayer *ptLayer = [myTiledLayer presentationLayer];

If it was statically typed as a CALayer, then the second assignment would require a typecase.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing