An alias stores quite a bit of information in it to allow you to find a file
object (files, folder, disks) if it moves or is renamed or if any of the
elements of its path is renamed, and can usually work with varied file
systems.  I am not familiar with BSAlias or NDAlias, but if they provide a
good wrapper around the CoreServices AliasHandle and associated functions,
they would be a good place for a high-level solution.