On Feb 2, 2009, at 6:56 PM, Kenneth Bruno II wrote:

On Feb 2, 2009, at 9:29 PM, Peter Duniho wrote:

Is there not a Cocoa class that handles character encoding and line- based reading from files, streams, etc.? And an equivalent one for writing?

That seems like an odd omission for a comprehensive framework.

NSString handles such things,

Not really, as I understand it, for my definition of "such things".

the only thing I'm not sure is how it will handle a truly large multi-gigabyte text file

The point of a line-based API is so that the file can be read one line at a time, rather than all at once.

(not that anyone is likely to have such a beast).

Large text files (as large as that) do occur in the wild. You'd be surprised.

So, I take it that there is in fact no line-based character-decoding/ encoding class in Cocoa? Very odd indeed.

Pete