Hmmm ... I do not have an answer for this. If nobody else can offer any insight, I'd file a bug. In fact, I'd file it anyway because this random substitution should not happen.

Yeah, I guess someone with deep knowledge of the states that a Core Data to-many relationship can be in throughout its life-cycle might be able to comment as to whether there's _any_ point in the implementation of NSManagedObject that has these relationships temporarily fielded by a proxy that responds as if it is an array (or actually being one!).

Clearly, you wouldn't even notice the switcheroo if you were driving the relationship via a more generic collection-like interface (e.g. like using -count, using fast enumeration or other things that apply equally well to a range of concrete collection objects - or at least arrays and sets).

I had a wonderment about whether some managedObjectContext locking I was doing around that access could be to blame, but this seems not to be the case through experimentation (i.e. removed the locking - still manifests).