I will try to tread carefully around NDA boundaries with this remark. Perhaps someone in authority can e-mail me privately with the information I need -- or at least make sure that future announcements to qualified NDA signatories like me are revised to contain the information.

Here goes: The seed notes for a certain rumored system software upgrade that we're all interested in do not specify -- and they never have specified, in my memory -- the minimum supported platform, namely, PPC vs. Intel. I don't yet own an Intel machine. So the only way I can find out if it will be worth my while to download the 6 Gig file, burn it to a dual-layer DVD and install it is, well, to download the 6 Gig file, burn it to a dual-layer DVD and install it. The answer to my question will be conveyed by the presence or absence of an error message after I've done all that.

That isn't a very user-friendly way to convey the information I need. Since the seed notes are available via a tiny RTF file, it would be helpful to people like me and harmless to Apple if the seed notes were to contain this information. (I am aware that the rumor sites like to treat this question as a hot issue. If Apple sees this as a problem, the seed note could deal with the rumor sites by including a disclaimer warning that the ability or inability to install the seed release on a PPC machine implies nothing about the final release.)

--

Bill Cheeseman
b...@cheeseman.name