On Mar 10, 2009, at 1:39 AM, rajesh wrote:

I need to display huge number of "elements"  in NSView (1000-2000).
These elements are generally made of high resolution image files with some fancy drawing around them. These elements may vary from size 300 X 270 to 4280 X 3500.

First I made use of NSView's for "elements", I abandoned the idea because I was supposed to connect some elements with lines, obviously line drawing was going behind the elements . Secondly I tried with CALayer's and I have a problem of GPU constraint for the resolutions I mentioned.(I tried optimizing, by only displaying required layer in the View's visible part ,that too didn't help much)

Is there any other way of approach, or should I be making use of one of the ways I mentioned ?

In addition to Graham's comments in a previous reply, I'd also suggest that, depending on what your view does, to generate a smaller thumbnail to represent the full-sized image. This both reduces your memory footprint as well as improving drawing speed. If the thumbnail size is dependent upon the view size, you could either invalidate your thumbnail cache when the view size changes or choose a maximum thumbnail size that you just scale appropriately.