I went the route of setting the attributed title of all of the items. It didn't seem to make much sense to have a duplicate of the same thing when it was unnecessary.

So, to set the font attribute I used the following:

[NSFont menuFontOfSize:[NSFont smallSystemFontSize]]

Any reason why this isn't appropriate?