Thanks for the suspicion-confirmation and docs pointers.

I had seen the conceptual info about the 1 versus zero thing: my problem with that documentation is it says the first item is stored at 1 - which is written the wrong way around, in that the first item is stored at zero, but is ignored. I'll fill in the docs feedback form..

thanks,
Rua HM.