On 2009.04.23, at 04:08, Chris Hanson wrote:

You shouldn't always show a log-in panel in your application either; Mac OS X has the Keychain for secure storage of user credentials, you should only ask the user to log in to your service if there's no stored credential or they've done something like reset their password.

And instead of checking network connectivity, your application should just try to use the network and fail gracefully when it's not available. After all, it could go away between when you check and actually start using it, or while you're using it - at that point, what does checking get you?

Well I was thinking this way: First window that shows when you start the app is login window because user can't use an app if he doesn't log in. And about Splash Screen: The user name and password provided in login window is checked against a remote database over network, so that is why network check is done on app launch and while that is performed I show Splash Screen. If network resources are unavailable no login window is showed but instead a window that perform certain tasks regarding the problem (if no connection - open network pref, if no database - select or create database, etc).
I hope I made it a little bit clear about what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks to everyone

Mario