On Apr 26, 2009, at 6:02 AM, Peter Hudson wrote:

When I try to print a document ( to PDF ) the app can sometimes hang - and I get a long message which looks like debug printout from the OS in the debug console.

The last section of the message seems to contain the crux of the problem : -

Sun Apr 26 12:42:51 peter-hudsons-macbook-pro.local tofile[6484] <Error>: The function `CGPDFDocumentGetMediaBox' is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance. Please use `CGPDFPageGetBoxRect' instead.
INFO: cgpdftopdf (PID 6484) exited with no errors.

My code does not directly call this method.

This message should be harmless (in terms of printing success) and is occurring in another process (cgpdftopdf), not your own. Probably need more context to determine why your hanging, but it is unlikely to be due to this message.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing