So, I have continued my work with a subclass of NSTextView for my field editor, and here is another part of the puzzle: (i) if I implement -drawRect: in the subclass, and ask it for the frame, the frame is the same as the frame set in -viewWillDraw, but not acted upon; (ii) if I implement -drawRect: in the subclass, but do not call super, the field editor box is still drawn at the usual location (the text is not drawn properly, etc., but the box is). This leads me to think that -drawRect is not drawing the box for the field editor. The question is, what object is drawing that box, and is there a way to move it?