On Aug 7, 2009, at 6:56 AM, bryscomat wrote:
... Now the dilemma comes when I want to get the drag and drop to work in a specific way. I want the playlists to be able to be dragged and placed in any order, but not above the separator. I have achieved this using the delegate method validateDrop: and returning DragOperationNone if the proposed child index is less than the index of the separator. However, I also want a user to be able to drag the items in the Singers group around in any order as well, and this doesn't allow that. I found that if in validateDrop: I check if the item is a singer and that the parent item is the singers group to allow it that it works for that. How do I get both of these to happen? If anyone could just point me in the right direction I'll take it from there.

Take a look at the -[NSOutlineView setDropItem:dropChildIndex:] method. You can call it from your validateDrop method to change the proposedItem and proposedChildIndex if they are not appropriate.

hth,
-natevw