Hi,

I have an app that contains a QTMovieView. I've set things up so people can use the arrow keys to skip, fast forward, rewind, use space to play/pause etc., as they're used to from other movie-playing apps. Now, I'd like to add menu items that correspond to these actions for people who don't know the shortcuts. I'd also like to show the shortcuts in the menu items, so people know the shortcuts are there.

Trouble is: If I set e.g. the space key as a menu item's shortcut and a text field has keyboard focus, the space key goes to the menu, not to the text field.

I don't want to disable the menu item, as even if there's a text field with keyboard focus, the user may want to use the menu to pause etc. Is there a way to make any control get the shortcut *before* the menus? Is there a way to disable only the shortcut, but still have it displayed? Is there a way to fake the shortcut, so I can do the actual handling at a different level? (Carbon lets you set the menu shortcut glyph separately from the actual shortcut, for example).

Anyone have an idea for a solution?

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de