On Sep 18, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Stuart Malin wrote:

I am under the impression that the reference returned by NSString's UTF8String method is valid for the life of the NSString instance which provided the reference (and further, that the memory of the referenced C string is freed when the NSString is released). Is this correct?

No. The pointer returned is, effectively, autoreleased, and shouldn't be used after the current autorelease pool exits. (I know, it's not an object, but it's actually the -bytes of an autoreleased NSData created by the NSString.)

NSString doesn't generally store its contents in UTF-8, so any time you ask for UTF-8 data it has to allocate space for it.