On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Erick Calder <e...@arix.com> wrote:
> ok, perhaps there's another way I can solve my problem.  I have a little app
> called Trapster that uses something called "push technology"... I think what
> it means is that some server can send my app a signal and even though the
> app isn't running all the time, it gets woken up and responds to the
> message... can anyone point me to a howto?

The Push Notification Service Programming Guide is here:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/NetworkingInternet/Conceptual/RemoteNotificationsPG/Introduction/Introduction.html

Be advised, though, that push notifications are really directed at the
*user*. Yes, the alerts you can push provide a convenient way for the
user to start up your app (and your app is specifically informed of
that), but this isn't like waking up a daemon process on the device.
Your app can still only run in the foreground, and only at the
discretion of the user, and will still be quit when the user is done
with it. (Users can also turn off the push alerts entirely.)

Sixten