On Oct 5, 2009, at 09:47, David Hirsch wrote:

(More info: I have my ArrayController in IB bound to an array (phases) of File's Owner (which is my NSDocument subclass). In the document's init method, I make phases an empty NSMutableArray, and in the document's windowControllerDidLoadNib method, I populate that array with data.)

No one can tell you the answer for sure without seeing code, but the likelihood is high that you're not populating the array KVO compliantly. Thus, the array is empty when the table's bindings are established, and there's no KVO notification ever sent to tell it otherwise, until you do something like click on a column header.