On Oct 14, 2009, at 7:51 PM, Anthony Smith wrote:

My app is iPhone only. I'm curious as to whether I need do a device check at the beginning of my app's execution and disable the app in some way(have a view stating, "This app is iPhone only") in order to be accepted by the app store.

As Clark mentioned, if your application is iPhone only, then you should say so when you submit. If your using a 3.0 or later SDK (which you should) then the primary means to do this is via the UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities property list key (see <http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/iPhoneOSProgrammingGuide/AdvancedFeatures/AdvancedFeatures.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007072-CH14-SW59 > for more info).

I understand the importance of designing my app to detect what features are available on the device but if my app requires an iPhone and everything else is standard first gen, do I need to handle my app being installed on an iPod?

If there is truly no way that your application is useful on an iPod touch, then definitely state it is for iPhone only. But more importantly, you are really saying that your application is only useful if particular features exist. For example, requiring OpenGL ES 2.0 would have restricted you to iPhone 3GS a few months ago, but now you can also run on the higher end iPod touches. Keeping that in mind means that your application will just run everywhere that the hardware it requires is available, rather than artificially only running on devices that you think have the features you need.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing