On Oct 14, 2009, at 8:02 AM, Motti Shneor wrote:

Hello.

I'm in a strange situation, where I am implementing a plugin component
that runs within a host application which I don't have access to.

Within this context, The host sometimes calls my plug-in to open an
NSSavePanel (or NSOpenPanel). The host expects that I'm synchronous
--- i.e. I only return when the NSSavePanel is dismissed, and there's
a result.

However, The host also provides me with its own Window, and I need to
open my NSSavePanel as a Sheet-window over the host's window.

You really can't - sheets are document modal (by design), not application modal - if a window has a sheet displayed, the user needs to still be able to switch to other documents within the application and do stuff. The description of the plugin model does not sound like it supports it, so you'd use an application modal document, not a sheet.

So you can probably make it look right, but you won't be able to make it work right (from the point of view of the user).

Glenn Andreas                      gandr...@gandreas.com
 <http://www.gandreas.com/> wicked fun!
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know