The malicious code could just move the entire original bundle wholesale. Code signature check still sees the original bundle.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 14, 2009, at 21:42, Charles Srstka <cocoa...@charlessoft.com> wrote:

On Oct 14, 2009, at 11:40 PM, Jeff Laing wrote:

Actually, heck, you wouldn't even need that. All a virus would have to do would be to move the binary somewhere else and put a binary in its place that does something malicious and then launches the real binary,
and the user would never tell the difference.

Unless, of course, the app checked its code signature.

Ok, I'll bite. How does the real binary checking its code signature detect the case you just described? Its 100% byte for byte the original executable, its just been moved somewhere else and as far as I'm aware, code signatures do not include your location on disk.

You check the signature of the .app bundle, not the executable itself.

Charles

This email sent to clarkc...@gmail.com