Graham Cox wrote:

On 16/10/2009, at 11:54 AM, Frederick C. Lee wrote:

Both seem to work the same.
Is there any benefit of (1) over (2) or is it merely style of programming?

(1) isn't really an alternative way of implementing a method, it's just that the trailing semicolon is ignored. I'm not even sure if it's deliberately allowed (it wouldn't be for a C function) or merely an artifact of the way Obj-C is parsed.

-(void) foo
{

}

and

- (void) foo {

}

are both perfectly valid ways of defining any block in C and always have been (though I personally abhor the second style yet seem to be ploughing my own furrow on that one - almost everyone uses it :(

I'm ploughing it with you, I hate it too and spend 30 seconds every time I let XCode stub out a function for me moving the brace onto the correct line, andputtingspacesbackbetweenparanetheses,bracketsandarguments so I have a hope in hell of reading the code later.

I came across that trailing ';' thing the other day purely by accident and couldn't believe my code actually worked.

I think I'll take this over to XCode and ask about it.