> As a user, I would become very suspicious if Finder suddenly requires me to
> authorize some copy operation just because I launched an app, or, even
> worse, because I took some action within an app...

Absolutely - that's the point of the "Details" disclosure triangle in
the authorization window: so the user knows what application is
requesting permission to do a specific operation.

And what about /etc/authorization? If your app relies on the Finder to
carry out its privileged operations, it also relies on the
com.apple.desktopservices right. And if the user happened to modify
that right, they've also unknowingly modified your app's behavior,
even though your app isn't published by Apple, nor is it related to
"Desktop Services."

On the other hand, it's a cruel joke to suggest a launchd daemon (BAS)
for the simple operation of copying a file to a privileged directory;
talk about bloat and cluttering users' computers.

Use AEWP. From
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/samplecode/BetterAuthorizationSample/listing6.html

"You should only use BetterAuthorizationSample if your application needs ongoing
access to privileged operations.  For example, if you're writing a packet
capture tool ... On the other hand, if your application
needs elevated privileges for a one-off task (like installing or uninstalling),
you should consider using AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges directly."