On Nov 27, 2009, at 2:02 PM, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> It's really another case of a poor choice of terminology, isn't it? (By
> "another" I am referring to my recent critique on this list of the confusing
> over-use of the term "key" throughout the animation stuff.) Here we are in a
> graphics world, so the user must be forgiven for supposing that "context" is
> asking for a graphics context. If the name-mongers had used "contextInfo" as
> elsewhere in Cocoa, the purpose of this parameter would have been much more
> obvious. m.

I'm not a name monger by any means, but in this case I would say that since the
type of the parameter is void* implies that there is no relation. If the
parameter had been meant to always be a CGContextRef, then it would have been
typed as such. Similarly, if it was meant to always be an object type, it would
be at least of type id. And of course, its purpose is spelled out clearly from
the documentation :).
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing