I believe you need the diacritic insensitive option:

'someProperty BEGINSWITH[d] "?"'

Look up NSComparisonPredicate options in the documentation for more
discussion.  As for what the 'w' means, it's Spotlight specific.  "The
Comparison is word based, and also detects transitions from lower-case
to upper-case."

http://developer.apple.com/Mac/library/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/SpotlightQuery/Concepts/QueryFormat.html

--
Jim