On Dec 26, 2009, at 12:42, Carmen Cerino Jr. wrote:

> I have been having a hard time trying to track down information on this
> issue, mostly because its a rather difficult to describe. The best summary I
> can give is that if you set an NSOutlineView to have the source list
> highlight style, and expand a node that contains a node with children, the
> indentation of all currently expanded nodes shifts. If the node is
> collapsed, the indentation is shifted back to its original spacing.
>
> At first I thought I was doing something wrong, but even Apple's SourceView
> example has this issue. Any information on this issue would be greatly
> appreciated.

What it's doing in your video seems very logical. If any of the items at the
next level are expandable, all items at that level move over so that their text
and icons still line up vertically when the expandable items' disclosure
triangles are drawn.

Seems like the only other alternatives would be:

1. To *always* leave room for sub-item disclosure triangles, even when none are
shown, so that there would be wasted blank space.

2. To let the icons/text of the sub-items not align vertically, depending on
whether they were expandable or not.

Each of those alternatives would have its own set of objections.

If you must change the default behavior (which I wouldn't recommend doing just
because you don't like it, since consistency with other apps is probably more
beneficial to your users) you might be able to control it by overriding
'-[NSOutlineView frameOfOutlineCellAtRow:]', or possibly even by using a
different value for the "indentationMarkerFollowsCell" property.