On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 5:24 PM, kvic...@pobox.com <kvic...@pobox.com> wrote:
> however, if the user drags an object to the trash icon, and then
> subsequently drags to and drops on the (popped) opened trash folder, i no
> longer receive the NSDragOperationDelete operation in
> -draggedImage:endedAt:operation: and hence cannot detect that this should
> actually be a delete and the opened trash folder remains open on the
> desktop.

This sounds like a bug. You should file it at
http://bugreport.apple.com. If the Dock is going to report a
drag-to-Trash as a delete operation, then the Finder should report a
drag-to-Trash-folder as a delete operation as well.

> 1) how can i detect that the user dropped into a (popped) opened trash
> folder?

If you are able to drag to a folder at all, you must be providing a
file or a promise pasteboard item. In that case, you should be able to
tell if the destination folder is a Trash folder (either NSWorkspace
or some Carbon API). Then you can perform the delete.

Safari 4.0.4 is able to handle dragging bookmarks bar items to the
Trash icon in the dock as well as to a springloaded Trash folder
window.

> 2) is the behavior of (popping) open multiple instances of the trash folder
> a (known) bug?

I don't think this is a bug, for the same reason that I can pop open
multiple instances of any other folder. This might not be expected
behavior for someone used to the pre-OS X Finder, but it seems pretty
consistent with the non-spatial OS X Finder.

--Kyle Sluder