Here's another useful link:

http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?NSZombieEnabled

I find enabling 'zombies' to be an excellent way of detecting an
'over-released' object without getting horrible / delayed /
cryptic crashes.  I aways have them enabled during debugging.
Just a note of caution though: nothing is ever freed with this
option enabled (which, when you're only debugging, is not really
important).

And here is the 'tao of debugging' for OS X, which has a useful
section on memory-related matters:

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn2004/tn2124.html

Paul Sanders.