Hi Andreas,
You're not clearing "text" - you're clearing UILabel reference in your code:

self.nameLabel = nil;

If you wan't to reset just text then: self.nameLabel.text = @"";
(or any way you prefer depending on UI requirements),

With your current code you just sending message to nameLabel = which
is actually nil in your -(void)updateLabels method,
regards,
Peter Blazejewicz