On 2010 Feb 01, at 03:53, Quincey Morris wrote:

> I'd point you to the the documentation:

   (This is the quote from "Cocoa Bindings Programming Topics" the
documentation I quoted in my original post.)

> I don't see how this can be clearer that bindings are bidirectional.

Yes.  It is clear.  And I had always thought that bindings were bidirectional,
based on this documentation.  Then, two weeks ago, I noticed that -bind:::only
implemented observer behavior in one direction.  I then read *this*
documentation:

> bind:toObject:withKeyPath:options:
>
> "Establishes a binding between a ..."

"Establishes a binding!"  So, then, having forgotten the other documentation, I
thought like Matt, that bindings are unidirectional.  Until I tried it with an
NSButton.

So now we have this paradox:

1.  "Cocoa Bindings Programming Topics" says that bindings are bidirectional.
2.  bind:toObject:withKeyPath:options: documentation says it "establishes a
binding"
3.  bind:toObject:withKeyPath:options: implementation establishes something
which
    is unidirectional.

Choose one of the following explanations:

1.  "Cocoa Bindings Programming Topics" is wrong.
2.  bind:toObject:withKeyPath:options: documentation is wrong.
3.  The use of the word "binding" in "Cocoa Bindings Programming Topics" is
    different than the usage in bind:toObject:withKeyPath:options:
    documentation.  (This would bring the number of definitions Apple
    has for the word "binding" up to about 5.  A whole 'nother topic.)
4.  The implementation of bind::: is incomplete.
5.  bind::: does what its documentation says, based on a very critical
    legalistic reading, as I explained at the bottom of my second post.
    Quincey has explained further that you must override it and to get the
    additional "bindings behaviors" and get a complete binding.

Quincey, I believe that you would vote for explanation #5, but it appears that
you have invented a term "bindings link" to refer to the unidirectional binding:

> implementation of 'bind:...' that correctly establishes bindings links for
> behaviors implemented in the frameworks (NS) subclasses.

Could you possibly also support explanation #2?