On Feb 2, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Philip White wrote:

> Hello, thanks for the quick response. I didn't know that attributes couldn't
> be applied to only parts of composed character sequence ranges. When I only
> apply attributes to ranges returned by
> rangeOfComposedCharacterSequenceAtIndex: I don't have any text mangling. That
> should solve my problem.

Generally speaking, most text manipulation should work in units of character
clusters rather than individual characters, since the cluster is effectively
the user-perceived character unit.  I suppose there might be potential uses for
such things as e.g. applying one color to a base character and another color to
a diacritic attached to it, but this is not something that fonts will reliably
support in general.  The Cocoa text system still should handle these sorts of
situations reasonably, so you should file a bug about the problems you have
been seeing, but I'd suggest using rangeOfComposedCharacterSequenceAtIndex: and
the like as a workaround.

Douglas Davidson