You never need to call anything to result in display.

Apparently you do as the custom view containing two buttons placed in the tool bar is not displayed. The docs for -validate indicate that -setEnabled should be called if the custom view is a control and that NStoolbarItem has no idea on how to validate a custom view containing 'complex' controls. Did that, don't work.

So, it is not the workman it is the tool. Proven by how long it took Apple to include toolbar support in IB and the fact that there is not one answer or example anywhere on how to do what is supposed to be trivial. Ergo, I stand by may statement that a trivial task in MFC is consuming lots of time to do in Cocoa. Does that not point to either poor tool design or poor documentation?

You can't blame the Toyota drivers for sudden acceleration when Toyota recalled 'the tool' to fix the problem. Analogous situation here.

So I ask again, how does one display a custom view containing controls in a toolbar?

-db