On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Uli Kusterer
<witness.of.teacht...@gmx.net> wrote:
>  I think there are also some open source NNTP clients out there
> (Newswatcher for example, but I don't know what license it's under

When I was poking around fairly recently, it appeared that most of the
Open Source apps for Mac were, in fact, wrapping C code from
Newswatcher, or maybe TIN. That certainly works, but no one should be
expecting to stumble across an elegant Objective-C library for NNTP.
(Attempting to write one of those is always one of those projects I
promise myself I'm going to try to tackle some day, and never do.)

Newswatcher itself is not Open Source (the source code was available,
but was owned by Northwestern; if memory serves, there was also a
non-commercial use clause attached to the source). There are slightly
more modern versions of the app in the form of MT-NewsWatcher,
NewsWatcher-X, and a few others.

> Panic's Unison is probably a surprisingly modern NNTP codebase.

Yeah, I would tend to agree with this. Whether they'd be willing to
license it out... Well, it'd be worth asking them!

As far as rolling one's own with sockets goes, I'll also plug
AsycSockets here as a somewhat higher-level API than BSD / CFSocket:
  http://code.google.com/p/cocoaasyncsocket/

Sixten