On Jun 3, 2010, at 6:46 AM, jonat...@mugginsoft.com wrote:

> My app runs user supplied scripts.
>
> These scripts may contain RubyCocoa statements such as:
> OSX::NSLog("task parameters are %@ and %@", a, b)
>
> These scripts may contain errors and the generated error reports may contain
> the likes of:
> syntax error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER, expecting $end OSX::NSLog("task
> parameters are %@ and %@", a, b)
>
> When the error is logged the extra format specifiers trip the code.
>
> Unanticipated transpires to mean unanticipated by me!
>
> All I need to do is sanitise those logging statements that derive from script
> errors and escape % as %%.

If your client expects only C format specifies, then I would recommend you use
a C formatter (such as vasprintf) to do the formatting, then use NSLog to log
the produced string. Any other format string errors are the client's to deal
with.

Yes, this would preclude the client logging objects, but from the sounds of
your specification, any escaping you did would have the same effect.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing