On Jun 29, 2010, at 8:10 AM, Roland King wrote:

> One option would be to use a UIImageView with a series of images, or, if I
> want finer control, a timer to switch images in and out of a custom subclass
> of UIImageView.

You probably don't need a subclass of UIImageView, but for simple animations it
should do what you need. Just remember that each image is going to consume a
fair amount of memory, so if you have a lot of large frames you can run out of
memory rapidly. Also transparency has a cost that you will have to evaluate for
your self.

My general recommendation here is to cut up your images into pieces that
animate and pieces that don't. If you can imagine one of those wooden puppets
that has various joints around which motion occurs, then you might get a vague
feel for what I mean (obviously you have many more options in the digital realm
to achieve the same thing).

> If the animation is really 'cut scene' I could use an MPMoviePlayerController
> and display one (and one only) animation.

Sounds like a good idea to me :).

> I had a hunt around the docs to see if there were any other technologies
> which looked applicable, didn't see any.
> OpenGLES would be all wrong for this. Have I basically got the right
> technologies here or is there something I'm overlooking?

For some things diving down into Core Animation may provide additional
capabilities (such as using properties not exposed by UIKit or the various
animation classes). Otherwise it sounds like you are on pretty good footing.
--
David Duncan