On Aug 25, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Dave Carrigan wrote:

> I would bet that NSOperation on iOS4 is using grand central dispatch, whereas
> NSOperation on iOS3 probably used NSThreads. In any case, as the other
> commenter said, doing UI operations on any thread other than the main one is
> going to cause lots of weirdness.

This is the likely reason. When NSOperation used threads, the threads were
likely to terminate relatively quickly, taking their runloops with them. When
the runloop was destroyed, Core Animation would flush its state, allowing the
changes to your views to occur. Now that NSOperation uses GCD, the threads are
much longer lived and thus Core Animation's state flush doesn't occur (because
you aren't running a run loop).
--
David Duncan